Sunday, June 9, 2013

Menopause Botanicals - How I Successfully Manage The Peri Phase


Since the age of 35, my menses began hinting at menopause. Only thing was, I did not know it at the time and no medical doctor or nurse practitioner mentioned that the changing characteristics of my cycles were the early phases of menopause. After my third trip to the OB/GYN Urgent Care for extraordinary bleeding and with no explanation forthcoming, I began to research my symptoms on the Internet and discovered the common term for this transition is called "peri-menopause" (peri means "pre"). Although I eventually found a fabulous, open-minded OB/GYN doctor who seemed sincerely interested in helping me manage the symptoms rather than simply shoving hormone prescriptions into my hands, his tools were limited by the policies of the HMO he worked for and hence, to: synthetic hormones, cauterizing the uterus and the herb, Black Cohosh. Since I consider menopause a natural process and not a disease coupled with the fact my mother had been diagnosed with Hormone Replacement Therapy-related breast cancer in 1995, I approached hormones with caution. However, without other options, I filled and began taking a low-dose birth control pill prescription. These synthetic hormones were a complete failure emotionally though after 1 cycle, the bleeding stopped. Depressed, irritable and disgruntled from the pills, I finally stopped taking them and in keeping with my rapidly expanding holistic understanding, decided to seek relief in the area of botanicals, ie., herbs, and supplements. I discovered a wealth of information on the Internet along with a variety of experiences. With characteristic persistence, I finally settled on a synergistic selection of complimentary botanicals, the final menopause management formula having served me extremely well since February, 2003.

In the early phase of menopause, progesterone production decreases while estrogen production remains consistent. It is this shifting relationship which contributes to heavy bleeding. One of the first informational misconceptions I encountered was the idea that phytoestrogens are helpful for peri-menopause symptoms. Based on my reading, experiences and discussions with other women, the last thing you need in your body is phytoestrogens. Just as early phase menopause levels of biological estrogens create heavy bleeding, so, too, do phytoestrogens provide a nearly identical experience. When I uncovered this information in 1999, I immediately stopped taking soy isoflavones and vowed to stay away from herbs containing phytoestrogens, like Black Cohosh or Hops. As I researched more, I discovered Red Raspberry leaf, a tonic herb for female reproductive organs, that has been traditionally used to help control bleeding -- I lay in a supply of red raspberry tea. It did help but my body needed something more. I added Red Raspberry leaf in capsules to my daily menopause management formula and over a few weeks time, saw some improvement. I later converted to a red raspberry tincture. For a time, I continued to drink raspberry tea whenever I became concerned a heavy bleeding session might turn into a gusher.

As I continued reading, I found that hormone health and balance was nourished/influenced by essential fatty acids (EFAs) and that these important nutrients must be obtained from certain vegetable oils. Gamma Linolenic Acid or GLA, an Omega-6 fatty acid often suggested for women with premenstrual syndrome, is instrumental in supporting hormone health and balance. I added Evening Primrose oil, abundant in GLA, to my regimen along with Flax Seed oil, an oil rich in Omega-3 fatty acids as well as certain Omega-6 (though not GLA) and Omega-9s. The Omega-3s nourished my eyes and they stopped hurting after a few hours in front of a computer screen, a welcome side benefit. I continued investigating EFAs and found Borage oil contains a much higher concentration of GLA than Evening Primrose and hence, when my Primrose stock ran out, I substituted Borage oil in its place. My hormone-induced acne began receding and finally my skin cleared up completely.

As I read more about low progesterone levels being the culprit in heavy bleeding, my research led me to Vitex or Chasteberry, an herb that for centuries has been associated with female hormone balance -- and one of a limited number of herbs helpful with progesterone levels. I experienced a surge of hope at the prospect of Vitex and immediately added it to my current menopause management formula. In addition, I also came across information that the adrenal glands produce a very small amount of progesterone. I added Eleuthero root (formerly Siberian Ginseng), an adaptogen herb, to my regimen as stress support for the adrenals to nourish, encourage and allow these tiny glands atop the kidneys to contribute progesterone for my uterus, and hence help counter excess estrogen levels. Consistently taken, this regimen worked well for several years.

During the early part of 2002, I experienced another change in menstrual characteristics. Bleeding seemed to become heavier again so I added Black Currant oil with dinner to my daily EFA allocation. Up until this time, I had been taking my management formula once a day. As distasteful as it was, in the fall of 2002 as a backup precaution, I also obtained a prescription for synthetic progesterone though I did not immediately use it. I began researching natural progesterone to replace what my body was no longer producing. On the first weekend in 2003, I ended up in the Emergency room again with extraordinary bleeding. I opted to take the progesterone prescription to put a stop to the gushing and decided it was time to locate in earnest natural progesterone to add to my daily management formula. I looked for an oral supplement but did not find any. I learned it is difficult for oral progesterone supplements to make its way to the uterus before the liver excretes it; hence, the majority of progesterone products are topical applications. As a result of these findings and not being particularly patient when it comes to potential gushing, I chose a quickly available progesterone cream.

After two cycles of synthetic progesterone and no longer bleeding heavily, with the blessing of my doctor, in February, 2003, I replaced the pills with the progesterone cream on the same 21 days on, 7 days off schedule. After several days, this creme left my skin extremely dry, even when rotating the application area as suggested. I searched more and finally found a progesterone supplement suspended in vegetable carrier oils (with sweet orange oil as a preservative) and with 5% pharmaceutical grade progesterone, too -- I was excited! This product was manufactured by Gentle Pharmacy and available via the Internet. I ordered a bottle, followed the directions and found my skin loved the carrier oil blend. In addition, the progesterone seemed to settle my menses down once again -- yes! It was during this time that I also added Nettle leaf herb to my daily formula as it seemed I was losing a lot of hair, sometimes a result of decreasing estrogen levels. A few weeks later while reading an herb book, I learned Nettle leaf has a traditional application for stopping uterine hemorrhages. Unbeknownst to me weeks earlier, along with healthy hair, Nettle leaf would become an important player in restoring my peace of mind.

In May, 2006, I stopped using the topical progesterone as my menses decreased to only 3 or 4 cycles in the last year. When hot flashes stop, I start using it again as this tends to be a sign my ovaries are once again active. I still continue my botanical menopause management formula to this day. Many of these supplements support several body areas as well as the reproductive system anyway. When I reach that lovely pinnacle of one year without any menses, my ovaries officially in "meno-pause," in addition to celebrating my passage into Cronehood, I will review my regimen and decide what if any of these lovelies to continue. Until then, I give thanks every day for each of these discoveries and the benefits that as a group, these plants have provided. Along with a Healing Herbs flower essence blend called "Five Flower Formula" for restoring emotional equilibrium when needed, it is these botanical beauties which have allowed me a peace of mind I found elusive in the practices of conventional medicine.

Small Print: Article contents are for informational purposes and should not to be construed as an endorsement for your use of these botanicals. This is my experience. Everyone's situation is unique and the menopause process has many phases; heavy bleeding can be a symptom of other conditions. Consult your doctor before taking any herbal supplement or stopping any medication. Herbs are not concentrated chemicals. Herbs work with the body and best results are often obtained with consistent use over a period of time. The FDA has not reviewed this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment